Deworming is not only a treatment for worms but a preventative measure to ensure your pet is creepy crawly-free. Parasites can be harmful to pets and their owners so it’s important to deworm pets regularly. If left untreated, parasites can impact your pet’s internal organs and impact their overall health. It’s important your pet doesn’t miss their regular deworming. Our team wants to protect your pets and family against parasites by providing both of you with the tools to ensure you are safe.
How is my pet dewormed?
Our veterinarians will prescribe special medication that removes any smaller larval and full-grown worms. These might be an oral medication or injection. Depending on your pet’s needs, we might deworm more or less frequently. Kittens and puppies need to be dewormed biweekly until they’re at least 3-months-old because of parasites they are infected with while nursing. If your pet has not been dewormed, please schedule an appointment at 403-335-3519.
How is my pet diagnosed with worms?
Common worms that infect pets are roundworms, hookworms, tapeworms, whipworms, and heartworms. Our veterinary team can diagnose worms by examining a sample of your pet’s stool. Depending on the type of worm inhabiting your pet, you might see a few of these symptoms:
- Change in appetite or weight loss
- Tiredness or loss of energy
How do pets get infected with parasites?
Kittens and puppies often get parasites from their mothers’ milk. For older furry friends, they can get parasites if they come into contact with infected animals (like rats and raccoons) and come across contaminated feces. A parasite prevention program is the best way to ensure your pet is safe from these infections.